X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dryer FAQs - Appliance Tips of the Week

Appliance Tips of the Week...

Dryer FAQs:

Q - I have crayon/gum/ink from a pen, on the inside of my dryer, is there anything that could help me clean it off ?

A - Cleaning and checking pockets before washing the clothes is a good practice to get into. Alcohol is very good for cleaning ink from a dryer drum, "cheap" hair spray is also good ( cheaper hair spray has more alcohol in it ). Nail polish remover contains acetone, which is an effective way of removing ink stains from your dryer's drum. Soak a few cotton ***** or a soft cloth with nail polish remover and vigorously rub the stained areas.

Q - My electric dryer runs but will not heat, what could stop my dryer from heating ?

A- Things that could stop a electric dryer from heating:

- house fuse or breaker ( needs 2! )... - heating element ... - burnt wire ... - thermostats ... thermal fuse ( not all models )... - motor heat switch ... - timer ... - selector switch ... - burnt power cord/plug ...

A ohm meter test for these parts is here.

Q - My gas dryer will not heat, what could stop my dryer from heating ?

A- Things that could stop a gas dryer from heating:

- glow bar igniter ... - thermal fuse ( not all models ) ... - coil on the gas valve ... - gas valve ... - thermostats ... - motor heat switch ... - timer ... - selector switch ... - sensor ...

A page for checking gas dryers is here.

Q - My dryer is dead, what could do that ?

A- Common problems...blown house fuse/tripped breaker ( electric dryers need 2 )...loose white/neutral wire...broken belt ( on some models only )...door switch/door switch bracket...*thermal fuse open ( venting needs attention )...broken or burnt wire...timer...motor...burnt power cord/plug...start switch ( especially the ones with a built in relay switch )

* If you find a blown thermal fuse, always clean, change, adjust the venting system and vent hood first, then it is sometimes a good idea to replace the operating thermostat at the same time. This is a picture of -some- modern thermal fuses.

Q - What is a grounded element?

A- Please see the grounded element page.

Q - What is the proper length my dryer vent can be run ??

A- The answer is at this link.

Q - Dryer takes too long to dry or multiple times to dry a load

A1 Pull the dryer out away from the wall. Unhook the vent from the dryer completely. Do not put anything over the dryer exhaust on the back of the dryer. Do a normal load with the vent unhooked. If it dries better or ok like this then the problem is in the dryer venting. Like a blocked vent pipe or a smashed or restricted vent hose.

A2 - If the vent doesn't make a difference, then check the blower wheel for excessive lint build up, check that there isn't anything stuck to the air intake baffle inside the drum, (i.e. the screen on the back wall of the dryer when looking into the drum). Check the lint filter chute for blockage. Check that the heating element isn't shorted to ground. Check the exhaust temperature of the dryer. A meat or pocket thermometer can be used for this. It should cycle between 120 degrees and 170 degrees. Check that the drum seals to make sure the are not worn out.

Electric or Gas Dryer Repair Parts

Related Links
    1. BetterVent Indoor Dryer Vent - Protects Indoor Air Quality and Saves Energy, Electric Dryers Only, Kit Includes Lint Filter
    2. STV-M Dryer Duct Connector - DIY Easy Dryer Vent Hookup Kit - by Ziggurat Products
    3. Whirlpool 4396009RP Flexible Venting
    4. Electric or Gas Dryer Repair and Maintenance Parts
    ​jeff sr.
    Appliance Repair Aid
    http://www.applianceaid.com/

Around this time in 2020 we couldn't find toilet paper.
    Now we can't afford it!
Working...
X