• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KitchenAid Dishwasher KDTM404KPS0

Appliance Model# - KDTM404KPS0
    Appliance Make - KitchenAid
    Appliance approx age - 2-ish yrs

This started when we ran the dishwasher last night. This morning, clean light is on like normal but when I opened the machine nothing is clean. At first I thought maybe someone forgot the detergent, so I put a detergent tablet in and started a cycle. Everything appears to be going normal, I can hear the machine adding water but after that it goes quiet. After not hearing much of anything for a while I realized the arms aren't spraying water. I stopped the cycle, pressed "cancel/drain", cut the power off for a while before trying to put it into diagnostic mode to see if I could get an error code. Unfortunately it didn't seem to want to run diagnostic mode. I tried running a "rinse only" cycle. Heard water go into the machine, then a while later it drains, lets more water in, doesn't make any noise for a while and then drains again. After that it played its little tune and blinked an error code with the clean light, it flashed 9 times, paused, flashed once, paused and played a little tune, then started over with the 9 flashes/pause/1 flash.

I tried looking up error codes and found several sites saying the 9-1 error code is something with the diverter or wiring for the diverter, but also found a different forum where people said the 9-1 error code is the drain pump. This doesn't make much sense because the machine is draining fine, it's not spraying water though. We replaced the drain pump earlier this year, about 4 months ago, and I've been trying to remember what error code it was flashing back then and can't. When the drain pump failed earlier this year though, the machine wasn't draining. We'd have to use a shopvac to get the water out of the bottom of the machine. It would also stop a few minutes into a wash cycle and start it's error code. That's not what's happening now. Now it fills and drains, but the water isn't getting sprayed around inside the machine.

I've tried to get the machine to give me an error code again but it won't cooperate with me. So now I'm not sure if the 9-1 code I got earlier was a fluke or if the problem is really the diverter or diverter wiring. Or, since it tends to "think" it's going through a full cycle without any problems, if the issue is with the circulation pump/motor assembly. We had this problem with our previous dishwasher and the symptoms are similar. The old machine went through full wash cycles like it thought everything was fine, but nothing was getting clean. Replaced the pump/motor assembly and it went back to spraying water and washing everything like normal. I'm not so secretly hoping it's the diverter since the diverter is much cheaper - about $23 vs $280.

Finding any information about this dang machine is kind of a nightmare. Even KitchenAid's website doesn't show this model #. It sometimes comes up under KDTM404KBS0, just a difference between stainless and black stainless exterior color.
    Last edited by KCNC06; 11-15-2022, 08:12 PM.

Hi,

I can hear the machine adding water but after that it goes quiet. After not hearing much of anything for a while I realized the arms aren't spraying water. I stopped the cycle, pressed "cancel/drain", cut the power off for a while before
    Sounds like the wash motor is not running ( has 1 motor for washing and 1 motor for draining ).
    I didn't see a diverter on the parts breakdown.....but this d/w was built after I retired so my knowledge is limited.

We had this problem with our previous dishwasher and the symptoms are similar. The old machine went through full wash cycles like it thought everything was fine, but nothing was getting clean. Replaced the pump/motor assembly
    Sounds like you will be doing it again on this d/w

No pic LINK> Pump and motor assembly

Sorry couldn't help much more.

jeff sr.
    Appliance Repair Aid
    http://www.applianceaid.com/

Around this time in 2020 we couldn't find toilet paper.
    Now we can't afford it!

Comment

Thank you! After doing a couple more test runs and not getting error codes again, I realized I probably got the 9-1 code because I opened the dishwasher, interrupting the cycle, so I could try to see if it was spraying water like it was supposed to. The machine got upset with me about that. Every test run after that, the machine claimed the cycle ran fine. Kinda crazy that the machine gives out error codes for practically everything but doesn't realize it's not spraying the water around to actually wash the dishes.

I don't think we'll be replacing the pump & motor assembly on this machine. Haven't seen that part actually in stock and I feel like odds are good something else will break even if we did replace this part. We tend to draw the line on repair or replace around the 50% mark. Replacing this part will put replacement parts pretty near half the price of the machine. I was already not happy with the fact that the machine started rusting around the steam vent hole thing about 2 months after we bought it. KitchenAid says that's cosmetic and not a problem. Fine, doesn't seem like it should happen though. Who wants rust on the front of a new machine? Definitely expected more from the brand though. Oh well.

Comment

We tend to draw the line on repair or replace around the 50% mark.
        That is a good rule!
        It is the same one we use. Once the cost of repair gets to or over 50% of the cost to replace the appliance, we suggest replacing the appliance as the best option.

jeff sr.
        Appliance Repair Aid
        http://www.applianceaid.com/

Around this time in 2020 we couldn't find toilet paper.
        Now we can't afford it!

Comment

Working...
        X