Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help needed for on/off switch on a heating pad

posted by: irebel

The first heating pad I owned I had it for many decades. But since that one died I have been replacing heating pads at a pace of once a year and in a blue moon I get 2 years. Yes it is true they don't make them like they used too.

Anyways.... Once again my heating pad died and of course it is always the switch. Since I only use it on high I really don't need the low med high switch.

Could I use a inline on/off switch (that you use for lamps) in place of the burnt out switch? I was think about the Leviton 3-Amp Appliance Cord Switch that you can buy at Home depot.

here is the link: WEB LINK

Yes I know there would be no 40 min shut off (which I don't want) but the one I use never did come with that feature anyways.

I was just going to give it a try and see what happens but then I started thinking that maybe it might just burn the pad up? Just remembering in School when we did that experiment connecting a wire to a battery and the wire melted. Not sure if this would be the same thing?

I would appreciate if someone could tell me if this will work or it won't. TIA

posted by: chrisb

What is the heating pad rating? How many watts?

Comment

Originally posted by transferguy View Post

What is the heating pad rating? How many watts?
      It is 50 watts and the switch at home depot is 3 amps.

Comment

That is less than .5 amps. The switch should be fine.

Comment

That is less than .5 amps. The switch should be fine.
          Hmm... Not too sure I understand. What is less than .5 amps?

I couldn't figure out about amps and watts... like comparing apples and oranges.

If I have a 3 amp switch I don't know up to how many watts it is good for?

I thought 50 watts sounded too low... so I checked it again.

I made a mistake the heating pad does say 500 watts not 50 watts.

I think the switch that comes with it must be low amperage and maybe that is why they keep burning out.

I read somewhere that 1 amp = 100 wats it that about right?

so the 3 amp switch should be good for about 300 watts? The 3 amp switch might burn out quicker also because it is not big enough?

Probably not worth the hassle but if I can find a quality switch maybe this one would last for decades also. That would be nice.

Comment

posted by: navyguy

Basic Ohms law

Amps = watts / voltage
            Amps = 500 / 120
            4.17 amps

Comment

posted by: jeff1

Hi all,

Might help...

ohm law
              Is that 500 watts, divided by 120 volts is approx 4 amps....right?

jeff..

Comment

Thanks
                So if I use the 3 amp switch Would this burn the switch or would it just not get as hot?
                3 amps x 120= 360 watts

Comment

posted by: suemarkp

It will burn up the switch. I'd look for a switch rated for at least 6 amps. Best to have some margin and not push it. All the amp rating is, is tell you how much current you can put through it without the contacts failing. If you exceed it, the heating pad won't be affected until the switch contacts melt and then it will get no power.

Mark
                  Kent, WA

Comment

posted by: suemarkp

It will burn up the switch. I'd look for a switch rated for at least 6 amps. Best to have some margin and not push it. All the amp rating is, is tell you how much current you can put through it without the contacts failing. If you exceed it, the heating pad won't be affected until the switch contacts melt and then it will get no power.

Mark
                    Kent, WA
                    Thank You! Now to find a good 6 amp switch.
                    Now I am wondering if a dimmer switch would work It should. I wonder if they even make a non wall dimmer switch?

One thing just leads to another!!

Comment

Thank You to everyone for all your advise I do appreciate your replies.

Comment

Working...
                      X