Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wiring in my new pole barn

posted by: skimsurf

so i had this pole barn built a few months ago, and initially i didnt plan on running electric to it. as we were leveling the space for it, we found a wire that had previously gone to a barn that had been there. i traced it into the house and it went all the way to the box, but was not wired in. there was an open spot for a breaker, so i got a 20amp single pole breaker. i wired it into an outlet inside the barn. then i jumped from the outlet to a switch, then from the switch to another outlet on the rafters for the 2 four foot shop lights i bought. the wiring going into the box is 12-2 indoor outdoor wire, i used 14-2 inside the barn. once i wired everything up, i turned on the breaker, i went out to the barn, the lights were on, i flipped the switch twice and the lights came on, the third time nothing. the breaker was tripped. i changed the neutral location in the box, same thing. i took the first outlet inside the barn out and just put the switch there, same thing. as long as there isnt a load the breaker stays on, once there is it trips. any help would be great. this is mostly for lights and a few power tools, bench grinder, regular grinder etc. but mainly the lights, i just got 2 for now but i plan on adding 2 more. help.

posted by: chrisb

1. 14/2 wire requires that you use a 15 amp breaker.
    2. You need to give us more details about how you wired the barn. It seems one of your connections could be wrong. Another possibility is that one of the cable clamps into a box is too tight and is pinching and shorting the cable.
    3. Is the breaker a normal breaker or a GFCI? If it is a GFCI it could be leakage issue.

Comment

posted by: suemarkp

Note - power to a detached building requires a disconnect. So the power needs to go to a main switch first to kill all power to the barn, After that you can go to more switches or receptacles. Receptacles in a barn will most likely need to be GFCI protected. Easiest to do that with using a GFCI as the first receptacle and having it protect any others.

This doesn't answer your immediate questions though. Don't know why a regular breaker would trip only under load unless its a GFCI or AFCI breaker. Indicate how your wired things at each box, including wire color and the function of each cable (e.g. first box: power cable to barn, black goes to a switch and all whites are connected together; in cable leaving the box to a GFCI its black is connected to to the switch; all bare grounds connected together).

Mark
      Kent, WA

Comment

posted by: navyguy

Location, location, location... rules are different for different areas...

Cheers

John

Comment

posted by: suemarkp

What I stated is for anyone under the US NEC (but not everyone in the US is under the NEC or may have addendums to the NEC). The poster didn't specify his location, but his IP traces to Rochester, NY.

Mark
          Kent, WA

Comment

posted by: navyguy

Agreed, my comment was directed to the OP... We used to have this problem quite a bit on the MH forum... we added it as part of the registration. Still did not stop people from putting in things like "Here" or "There" but it helped quite a bit.

Cheers

John

Comment

posted by: ohm1more

ou said: Under a load the breaker trips. disconnect or turn off light switch to the load, then see if the breaker holds. If it does, then find the load thats causing the problem-by adding in a load one at a time. I’m assuming its your shop lights—as you didn’t mention using your receptacles.

Note what suemark said in-regards to a disconnect being required.

Comment

Working...
              X