Wiring Done Right

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Adding ceiling light to switch that controls outlets.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding ceiling light to switch that controls outlets.

posted by: jdeelvt1

I have a house with no ceiling light in any of the four bedrooms. All outlets in each room are half-switched. Current wiring is easily accessible in the attic. I want to add ceiling lights in these rooms. Any way to add the lights to existing wiring? I'm replacing all the outlets anyway, so that's not a problem if needed. Thanks for any help

posted by: chrisb

Do you want to continue to switch the receptacles and a add a second switch for the lights or have the receptacles always on?

You will need to open the switch(with the power off) and tell us the wiring in it so we can give the proper directions. Also tell us if you can fish the new cable to the switch box or one of the receptacles.

Comment

posted by: jdeelvt1

Thanks for the reply. Leaving the receptacles on would be my choice. Of course if it's easier to leave the receptacles as is, I'm ok with it as long as they can stay half always on as they are now. Don't plan to add a second switch unless that's easier for the fix. I will get the other info tomorrow. This is a remodel on a house we're getting ready to move into and I'll be there finishing up some other work.

Comment

posted by: chrisb

Receptacles always on should not be a problem. Let us know the wiring at the switch and the closest receptacles. If it turns out to be a switch loop one receptacle will need to be rewired.

Comment

posted by: Roy Peter

Hi

What type of ceiling lights you like to prefer for your rooms??

I suggest you to place them according to your wall colors..it will attractive one..

Comment

Working...
          X