Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• convert switch to outlet

posted by: CliffMc

HI, I have two switches on the same circuit, one was for and under cabinet light and one for outside light. I want to replace the under cabinet switch with an outlet. This switch has 2 black wires, if I put one each on the opposite side of the outlet, the outlet works but not the outside light, if I put them on the same side, the outside light works but not the outlet.

Can you tell me what I need to do to make both work?

Thanks,

posted by: chrisb

How will you control the under cabinet lights? It can be done but if you replace the switch the light will either be on always or off always.

Comment

posted by: CliffMc

The under cabinet lights have been remove and are no longer needed, so i want to be able to replace that switch with an outlet and to be able to use the switch for the outside light. As I stated before, only one or the other is operational now.

Comment

posted by: chrisb

The two black wires are coming from two cables. One of them is power and the other one is the abandoned lights.

Determine which one is power and connect the black white and ground wire from it to the new receptacle. If the white wire from the power goes to other wires it must stay connect all of them except the one to the abandoned lights.

The black is already a single wire going to the switch. If it is connected with other black it must stay with them as well or other devices will stop working.

Comment

Working...
        X