Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forgot to take a photo of old wiring

Posted By: Bayflyer

I know this is probably an easy fix but I do need help. I am remodeling a room which involved taking down a wall.

In that wall were two single pole switches getting power from an outlet on an adjacent wall which is still the case in the new setup.
    Within the new 2 gang box along with the switches is 14-2 with ground and a 14-3 with ground cable which goes to the first ceiling light
    where it terminates and 14-2 with ground continues to the second light operated by switch 2.

Add'l info: the wiring at the first light is as follows. the 2 blacks are wire nutted. the 2 whites have a pigtail which goes to the fixture and
    the red goes to the fixture. the black and white go to fixture #2.

Ok, finally here's the question. How do i hook up the switches? If I had only taken a photo I would be fine but of course i did not.

Thanks for reading,

Joe

Posted By: Mr T

So, you have a total of 2 cables going into the switch box.. One is power entering the switch box from a outlet box on that wall. and the 2nd cable leaves the box is a 14/3.

The 14/3 goes to the first light fixture, then a 14/2 goes to a second fixture that is switched independently of the first fixture.

If the above is true, then connect all the whites together in the switch box. Connect your incoming black to both switches. The black on the 14/3 goes to the switch you want to control the 2nd light, the red connects to the other switch that controls the light on the end of the 14/3 run.

Comment

thank you for replying Mr T. I will hook up everything and see what happens.

Comment

Hooked up all the wires and it works. I appreciate the help. I ended up pigtailing the incoming black and
        hooked one to each switch. I assumed that is what you wanted me to do.

Anyway it works and I thank you.

Comment

Posted By: Mr T

That was correct..

Glad it works!

Comment

Working...
          X