Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gfci

Posted By: just me

Can I use a 240 volt 40 amp GFCI breaker for a new stove?

Posted By: Mr T

First question.. Why?

Second question.. What is the nameplate rating of your stove?

Comment

Posted By: chrisb

\And what size cable do you have.

Comment

8 gauge and stove is rated at 40 amp reason for GFCI is that is already in the panel and no longer used

Comment

Posted By: dkerr

You should get back to us with the rating on the nameplate on the stove, as there is certain ranges that require 50 amps lines, where most others are fine at 40 amps.
          Ranges/stove usually operate on 2 voltages, 110 is for the electronics/timers and 220 for the heating elements themselves.

The breaker at the panel must be a dual breaker that is molded together and physically joined at the trip / reset levers so that when one half trips both half trips. The dual breaker itself mounts across 2 hot lugs at the panel on opposite phases so that both 220 and 110 is available at the range itself.

Please refer to the article at the link bellow..

RANGE OUTLET

I do not believe ever seeing a range using a cfci but if even considering using an existing 40 amp cfci breaker it would have to meet the above criteria / type.
          Last edited by dkerr; 07-16-2013 at 08:38 PM. Reason: update link provided

Comment

it does meet the above criteria

Comment

Posted By: chrisb

I don't believe there would be any code issues. I just wouldn't want to be tripping a GFCI on a stove.

Comment

Posted By: ohm1more

8AWG what. AL or Copper? Also, it want be an issue to use the 2P GFCI Breaker. Another Q. Is it a 3 or four conductor cable?

Comment

Working...
                X