Wiring Done Right

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ceiling light/fan combo - which circuit(s)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ceiling light/fan combo - which circuit(s)

Posted By:edenhope

Hello

I have bought a ceiling light/fan combo for my bathroom. It comes with 2 3 prong plugs - so I have to install 2 outlets - simple enough.

My question is: do I wire both plugs using the light circuit, so the fan is on the light circuit, or should I wire the light to the light circuit and the fan to the power circuit?

Thanks

Posted By: dkerr

I am a bit confused when you state that it came with 2 - 3 prong plugs and you installed 2 outlets, ceiling fixtures / combo units have wires coming out of them where you can wire into a switch circuit either having both the fan and light switched together or on separate switches. Depending on its type / use / location it may have to be gfi protected particularly if it is above a shower area.

Perhaps you can clarify this further.

Comment

Posted By:edenhope

Posted by dkerr

I am a bit confused when you state that it came with 2 - 3 prong plugs and you installed 2 outlets, ceiling fixtures / combo units have wires coming out of them where you can wire into a switch circuit either having both the fan and light switched together or on separate switches. Depending on its type / use / location it may have to be gfi protected particularly if it is above a shower area.

Perhaps you can clarify this further
      This fan/light is from a hardware shop. It has two wires. One for the fan and one for the light. Both wires have at the end a normal 3 prong plug for plugging in directly into wall socket (in Australia). I will wire into the roof two wall sockets. I want to know, should I wire the light socket AND the fan socket to the light circuit (like the standard shop bought unit), or should I use the power circuit for the fan?

Thanks
      Last edited by transferguy; 01-01-2021, 05:51 PM.

Comment

Posted By: dkerr

Love Australia, was there in 2008, I believe if I remember right it is 220 v at the outlets in australia, with angled slots on the outlet itself.

Now I suspect what you are refering to is the light circuit outlet at the ceiling location is switched on and off by a wall switch, is this correct, and the power outlet is in an always on state, is that correct? If that is the case then I suspect you would likely want the fan to not be in an always on state but to be switched on and off as the light is which means it would have to be on the light circuit. Check first if you plug the light part in that it indeed goes on and off with a wall switch. I just want to be sure that there is power on the light outlet you are refering to and not just a loop to the switch with no actual power.

Let me know

Comment

Working...
        X