Wiring Done Right

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Remedy poor ducting with inline duct fans???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remedy poor ducting with inline duct fans???

Posted By: Doc

In 2010 I bought a new 3-BDR, 2 bath, 2 car garage home. The builder is being sued for construction defects but WILL NOT actually fix any defects, only give a money settlement. The center of the house has an open floor plan and heats and cools just fine but the bedrooms are too cold in the winter and too hot in the summer. The AC and furnace are in good working order, the duct work is the problem. A huge duct comes off the furnace and the ducts become smaller and smaller as they service each room. Short of tearing all the duct work out I want to add inline duct fans. I was told the inline fans should be wired to come on with the furnace fan but I have no idea how to do that. I have done basic wiring, added outlets, and fished Romex through walls, etc. but this is new to me. Help!

posted by: chrisb

A huge duct comes off the furnace and the ducts become smaller and smaller as they service each room
    That is normal.

It sounds like the system needs to be balanced. Believe it or not the solution might be to partially close the vents in the main area so more air reaches the other rooms. This is a job a a professional with air flow testing equipment.

Comment

Posted By: Doc

Thanks for your input. I have already temporarily sealed the ceiling air ducts in: one spare bedroom used for a "junk" room since I have no basement; duct taped the ceiling air duct in the master bedroom walk-in closet; duct taped the ceiling air duct in the toilet (separate 6'6" X 3' toilet room only) of the master bath; duct taped the ceiling air duct in the walk-through laundry "room". This has helped only slightly. Of course, I'm not a pro with air flow testing equipment. Until I either become rich & famous or the lawsuit is settled, the attorneys guesstimate up to another 24 months, I won't be hiring any contractors. I have been suffering through this nightmare nearly 4 years and I'm sick of it. Your suggestion of partially closing vents in the center of the house may be just the solution I can afford. I'll start experimenting with that. Thanks again.

Comment

posted by: dkerr

Since the builder is being sued over defects is there any chance that there is poor insulation in walls and attic in parts of the home. I do agree that the duct work balancing is likely the main contributor to your situation.

Comment

posted by: chrisb

You should not need to duct tape the vents shut. There should be dampers on the lines to control the airflow, unless that is also part of lawsuit issues.

Comment

posted by: Doc

I have been in the attic and there is adequate insulation. I have fished Romex wiring down through two different walls and there is adequate insulation there, too. I tried closing one of 5 vents in the main part of the house with pool cue but it slammed shut - it's all open or all shut. I'll get my ladder, remove the vent, and try to crimp the pivot. I'll try the balancing and see if that helps. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
            X