Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pass through window

Posted By: roughrider

hi, im looking to put an opening in the wall between the kitchen and the dining room .

will i need to care about a load bearing wall ? if so how would i go about it

are there different lengths of 2x4s i will need to cut for this opening?

wiil i have to strengthen any part of the opening if it is a load bearing wall? header, lintel or something
    thanks rough

posted by: chrisb

will i need to care about a load bearing wall ? if so how would i go about it
    Yes you need to care if it is load bearing unless the window is narrower than a stud space and don't intend to cut any studs. How would you go about what? determining if it is load bearing? If you don't know how then this is best left to an expert like an architect or structural engineer.

are there different lengths of 2x4s i will need to cut for this opening?
    Yes

wiil i have to strengthen any part of the opening if it is a load bearing wall? header, lintel or something
    Yes you will The opening will need to be framed the same as any other window opening in a wall.
    Here is a basic image of a window frame setup. Click for a larger image.

wood framing for window

Comment

posted by: Alex

It depends upon the size of the window you want to make there. Some other factors are also be in your mind. Is it the main wall or bearing the whole burden of the roof at that spot you want to drill!
      I think it is better to give some strong support there.

Comment

Working...
      X