Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rj45 pin layout

posted by: dkerr

I have generally always wired all 8 wires, but with 100mhz transmission only 4 wires (2 pairs) are actually being used, what I am looking for is which rj45 connections are the 4 wires being used.

I have a cat 6 run 1 pair is the dsl high band to modem via a pots filter, one pair is used for a phone line, that leaves 2 pair (4 wires) that is unused. I wanted to try and use the remainder 2 pairs as a network patch from 2nd floor to basement so a another cable run is not necessary. I just need to know the jack wiring positions used.

posted by: chrisb

The standard is for pins 1&2 and 3&6. That would be the orange and green pairs.

Comment

I am not sure which 2 pairs I already used but as long as I know the pin positions of the rj45 jack and can utilize the other 2 pairs as a network patch.

Thanks

Comment

posted by: chrisb

This is the standard layout I use.

rj45 plug colour code

Comment

posted by: navyguy

For jacks, the standard is 568B pattern (although by industry standards is is considered the "alternate method"). Some places use the sister configuration 568A. Truth is it does not matter what colour it is as long as you are doing the same on both ends. The jack pin numbers will match the pin numbers that Chris posted above (568B), but the punch down order (colour) will be different depending on the style of jack. As an example pins 1 and 2 on the Belden Jack is Wt/Bl - Bl, etc.

Cheers

John

Comment

Thanks I only need the wall jack pin locations, the patches from wall jack to network switch or computer will be pre manufactured patch cords. The send and receive pairs must each be from the same twisted pair in the cable. So pins 1 & 2 come from one pair and pins 3 & 6 come from a different pair with the other end wired identically.

Comment

Working...
            X