No announcement yet.

Whirlpool Direct Spark Ignition (DSI) Repair Helps - Appliance Tip of The Week

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whirlpool Direct Spark Ignition (DSI) Repair Helps - Appliance Tip of The Week

Appliance Tip of the Week...

Whirlpool/KitchenAid Direct Spark Ignition (DSI) repair helps, tips and tricks

Whirlpool has introduced a new variation on the spark ignition system.

In this system there is no "pilot", instead an additional electronic control monitors the performance of the oven burner.

A pdf file on how this system works....Click here.

I also found a manual for Kitchenaid model KGSA906PSS00.

Service Manual is also a PDF file....Click here.

Range - Cooktop - Oven Parts

Some service notes and tests:

TEST PROCEDURE Solenoid Resistance Tests 1. Disconnect power from the range. 2. Set the ohmmeter to the R x 100 scale. 3. Touch the ohmmeter terminals to terminals 1 and 2 (Broil). The ohmmeter should read 216 ohms +/- 30. 4. Touch the ohmmeter terminals to terminals 3 and 2 (Bake). The ohmmeter should read 216 ohms +/- 30.

NOTE: Always check both solenoids. If one of the solenoids is defective, neither one will operate.

Always a good idea to ohm meter test the oven temp sensor. Should be 1000-1100 ohms at room temp (70 degrees F or 21 degrees C).

It is always a good idea to check the sparker/electrode to make sure no food has spilled onto it.

It is always a good idea to check the gas burner to make sure no food has spilled onto it clogging any holes.

Remove the Bake burner and check the lighting/ignition holes (marked in blue on the picture below).

If there are only four holes then the Bake burner would need to be replaced. Example of one is linked here. This is a very common replacement for KitchenAid and Whirlpool gas ranges.

Range - Cooktop - Oven Parts

When you select the bake or broil mode on the ERC, the appropriate ERC relay closed sending the power to the direct spark ignition electronic control (spark module) which generate two sparks per second to both oven burner igniters/sparkers. So the cause of the problem could be the spark module as well as the ERC. The diagnosis consists of checking for 120 VAC between the wires connected to the pins J1-6 and J1-4 (Bake) or J1-7 and J1-4 (Broil), depending on the mode selected, on the spark module (inside the control panel).

If 120 VAC presents, the spark module would need to be replaced. If there is no 120 VAC, the ERC would need to be replaced.

You will working with the live power so be careful not to electrocute yourself!

Shop Range/Stove/Oven Parts

Related Links
    1. Burner and Electrode
    2. Electronic gas valve and pressure regulator
    3. Direct spark ignition board
    4. Gas grate cleaner for removing stains, discolouration, and burnt on food
    jeff sr.
    Appliance Repair Aid
    http://www.applianceaid.com/

After all the eating I did over the holidays...I am happy to report that my socks still fit!
Working...
X