Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Type of pipe to use

posted by: jdevlin

I need to change the plumbing in my summer cottage. Should I change to copper or PEX? The longest run I would need to do is 10 feet.
    I am leaning towards copper since I have the tools. If I go PEX I would need to rent or buy the crimping tools.

posted by: chrisb

I think with that small amount of pipe I would stick the old tried and true copper lines.

Comment

I have some copper left over from some other jobs and the propane tank so I guess copper it will be.
      Do I have to use that new lead free solder?

Comment

posted by: Mr T

All solder used on potable (drinkable) water systems should be lead free. Make sure you are using the correct solder (there are many kinds and they are not all the same). You are thinking of electronics solder which is becoming lead free to meet RoHS and similar standards.

I agree for a short run copper will be better. Just out of curiousity, why did it fail?

Comment

It didn't fail. The insurance company is giving me grief over it. I don't own a house and it is hard to get stand alone insurance for a cottage. Most people just have it as a rider on their house policy.
          They don't like my galvanized pipe, my 40 amp service(all breakers including main) and my oil stove heater. Plumbing is the easiest to eliminate, so I will start with that.

Comment

I checked my solder supply and it is lead free so I am good to go.

Comment

posted by: navyguy

Insurance companies have no clue... The things I have seen them make clients go through is crazy. Yet another example.

Cheers

John

Comment

posted by: guest

According to me you should be go with PEX pipe because these days it is used by numbers of the home builders for their plumbing systems in their houses. It is might be good for you.

Comment

Working...
                X